[Community] The future of QtMoko

Gilles Filippini gilles.filippini at free.fr
Tue Sep 23 19:47:36 CEST 2014

Hi,

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller a écrit , Le 23/09/2014 19:19:
> Hi,
> since I know that there are many QtMoko lovers out there who wait for
> new versions or new hardware that is supported, I have set up our own
> build system to compile QtMoko v58 and create GTA04-single-partition
> SD card images that might work with the newer DT based kernels we
> are working on.
>
> Here is the first result (installer for a 3.17-DT based GTA04 kernel and the
> last official rootfs):
>
> 	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/qtmoko/
> 		makesd + unstable.tbz
>
> It boots well an the touch is working. But of course many /sys nodes
> have changed so that there is neither WLAN, Bluetooth or WWAN.
> And no battery charging, sensors etc. But GPS appears to do something.
>
> This raises some questions, especially as it appears that QtMoko isn’t
> developed any more. At least there have been no commits in the last
> 9 months.
>
> The first practical question is how to easily run the compile/test/fix cycle.
>
> It took several days on my setup (build within qemu-system-arm -M vexpress-a9)
> to build the qtmoko-gta04.deb, but finally it failed.
>
> The next step, building a new rootfs and install and boot is much faster but
> still slow.
>
> Q1: Is there a simple method to get the development cycle down to some minutes
> or even sub-minute?

It's been a long time since I last built QtMoko. It was cross-built on a
Debian amd64 box [1] in about 5 1/2 hours. It might be possible to go
down to a couple of hours on a decent box with parallel build enabled. See:
https://github.com/pini-gh/qtmoko/blob/master/debian/README.source

[1] AMD Athlon(tm) Neo X2 Dual Core Processor L325

Thanks,

_g.