[Community] Newsletter Sept 2014

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Sep 4 18:06:46 CEST 2014

Hi all,
I thought that I should start to write a small newsletter...

1. Replicant

Lukas already has reported that Replicant 4.2 can now control the 3G
modem of the GTA04! At least for data and SMS. This is great progress
that IMHO deserves some more donations:

http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ADonation

The system is using a 3.12 kernel which is running quite well, but neither
device tree based nor optimized for power management. So one of the
next bigger steps will be to migrate to DT based 3.17++ kernel (see below).

2. Mainline kernel

We now have upgraded to 3.17-rc3 and it works quite well. Except the
known problems that none of the wireless interfaces is working, camera
is missing and power optimization is missing. Well, audio is also incomplete :)

So it is still a big construction site to identify the small bugs and help is
appreciated. The bugs re really small - almost everything we need to
configure is in place, but some components simply fail to work. This
needs a lot of lowest level debugging (checking which path of some
driver fails and why and what is missing or in conflict).

We also have submitted several patches to LKML for consideration in
linux-next / 3.18. Let's see how much of that will be accepted.

3. Pyra handheld

development is going on, hardware tests are under their way and we
have good progress. Well, I am not in the role to make more detailed
announcements here.

Please visit www.pyra-handheld.org for the status.