[Community] PVR SGX graphics driver leaked

Lukas Maerdian luk at slyon.de
Sun Nov 23 19:51:14 CET 2014

Am 23.11.2014 um 19:40 schrieb Robert 'Bobby' Zenz:
> I'd like to point out that leaked sourcecode like that doesn't help
> anybody in the long wrong, quite the opposite can happen.
>
> The source code can't be used in any project (it is a license
> violation to use it). Technically it can also be used against efforts
> to create FLOSS drivers (it could be argued that the FLOSS drivers were
> directly derived from the closed source drivers).
>
> Using the documentation for the FLOSS efforts...not sure. If it
> contains "trade secrets" it is a problem to use it for implementing the
> FLOSS drivers.
>
> Just wanted to point that out.

That's absolutely true!
But the code was published about 5 months ago and we can't undo this, so
we somehow have to cope with it. A big hope is that ImgTec will finally
release a FOSS driver themselves, now, that they don't have any secrets
to loose anymore. Or at least officially allow the FOSS community to
write one for them.

They didn't want to do this all the time, but now I think it somehow
would make sense, because they are the one big vendor left without any
(more or less working) FOSS driver and they have nothing to hide anymore.

BR,
  Lukas