[Community] PVR SGX graphics driver leaked

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Nov 23 18:40:26 CET 2014

Am 23.11.2014 um 18:09 schrieb Paul Kocialkowski <contact at paulk.fr>:

>> Maybe someone with more knowledge can have a look at it?
>
> Luc Verhaegen wrote a post about the source code leak and its impact on
> the development of a free software graphics driver for the PowerVR
> Eurasia GPUs: https://libv.livejournal.com/26972.html

Interesting reading! Thanks for the link.

But I think he is biased. And just wants *any* ARM GPU to be
supported.

Therefore he mentions in every third sentence how that harms
the MALI driver development and how impossible it is to write
something for PVR and wonders why people don’t support MALI more.

But the answer to the last one is IMHO obvious.
People are interested in drivers for the devices they own. So their
need is not that general as he appears to assume. And someone
who does not own some hardware can’t help testing and debugging.

For the instable architecture (which is very correct - OMAP3530 needs
a different driver than DM3730 and the last one I got working was for
Linux 3.8) - it is IMHO possible to do it better than IMG if a new driver
is written from scratch (perhaps with the insights gained). If some good
system architect adds the missing pieces to stabilize it. Linux user space
software can also run on many different SoCs. So why not SGX “programs”?

But as many others I neither have knowledge nor time to do any work
for such projects. So I am like everyone else owning devices with PVR inside:

Just waiting for an open PVR driver to arrive (and not for a MALI).