[Community] When will the Neo900 be ready for orders?

Lukas Maerdian luk at slyon.de
Sun Nov 23 17:13:33 CET 2014

Am 23.11.2014 um 17:05 schrieb Ryan de Laplante (personal):

>>> I understand that you don't know exactly when, but maybe you can guess
>>> roughly which quarter of 2015 it will be ready for order and delivery. Q1?
>>> Q2?
>>
>> It's just a rough guess, but I'd say Q2.
>
> Ok, thank you. I'm really looking forward to buying one ASAP.
>

>>> Also, the ReplicantOS project purposely does not provide proprietary wifi
>>> and modem drivers.  Maybe the Neo900 project can provide instructions for
>>> those of us who want to use ReplicantOS with network capability.
>>
>> There's no need for proprietary drivers on Neo900 for either WiFi or
>> modem. The only thing you need is a firmware blob for WiFi chipset
>> (which is *not* executed on CPU), so the only thing you need to use it
>> with Replicant is to put it into proper directory so the kernel can
>> find it and upload to the chipset.
>>
>> Also, Goldelico Replicant images for GTA04 already include the WiFi
>> firmware and in future should work with Neo900 as well.
>
> Great! Do you know which other features will not work on ReplicantOS +
> Neo900 without a proprietary firmware blob or driver?  The information
> on this page related to the GTA04 worries me:
>
> http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/ReplicantStatus#Replicant-42
>
> Maybe they could add a new row for Neo900 if the chips and status
> information are different than the GTA04.

In the "Goldelico Replicant", i.e. not the official Replicant branch,
but our GTA04 porting branch, lots of those features already work, i.e.:
Telephony, Mobile Data, WiFi (right now we include the firmware blob),
Sensors (some of them)

Please refer to the project page of this Replicant version:
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/

And watch out for my talk at OHSW, where I will present exactly what I
worked on: http://www.ohsw.de

BR,
  Lukas