[Community] Social Media - What's "Stammtisch" in English?

Jonathan Busby jonathanbusby at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 20:44:22 CEST 2014

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM,  <wonderphone at posteo.de> wrote:
> Is there any means to internationalize the Munich based Stammtisch? For
> those not familiar with German culture: A Stammtisch is a regular informal
> round-table in a bar where you can meet and greet people, talk nonsense and
> sometimes stumble into serious topics.
>
> Would it make sense to organize a Stammtisch via VoIP,  Mumble, palava.tv ?
> Or have a one hour and a half window of the real Stammtisch transmitted live
> to individuals scattered around the rest of the world -- with bidirectional
> communication, of course?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Oliver

Well, in America we have meetups ( www.meetup.com ) and the like,
similar to the German version I guess, but I like the idea.

As for what communications software to use, I prefer Skype, because it
has excellent sound quality ( I talk to my friend in Greece all the
time ).and echo cancellation ( I can use it without headphones ).

Regards,

Jonathan