[Community] ... (Organisation)

Riccardo Scartozzi riccardo.scartozzi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 10:33:44 CEST 2014

>> A question to the people on the list:
>>
>> Do you use or like Facebook?
>
> I used it for 2-3 years, only very intermittently, but decided to
> delete
> my account in January 2013.
>
> I've always had mixed feelings about it; but the specific trigger for
> deletion was when some people started assuming that, because I was on
> Facebook, they didn't need to let me know about certain things in any
> other way.  Unfortunately, because I only checked Facebook very rarely,
> that meant I missed things, and I thought it better to delete my
> account.

It's around the same for me.
I started to lose information and being messy because friends expected
me to be connect 24/7 on facebook and expect every post as read by me.
Also I start to have high concerns about privacy and being annoyed by
some nested thing (like the ads, the profiling, the impossibility to
really delete and control your data, the general tag "friend" for people
the I even don't know, the censorship and more [1]). So I quited around
2012.

> Are your interested in an alternative?
Could be, it depends also by which purpose. I think that the big issue
is that most of the people that would use it are already using facebook
or something else, therefore they would not change just because of me.
I don't know either if I need a social network. For a lot of thing I'm
already satisfied by other technology like emails and IRC, XMPP, SIP.

Maybe I'll have to give it a try, at least once-

>> Has anybody experience in using Friendica? Or do you think it is not
>> so important?
>
> If one does use Friendica, the question then is whether to connect it
> Facebook and/or Google+ etc. - in that case does one have any more
> control than if one just stayed with Facebook or Google+ in the first
> place?  I haven't worked that out yet.

I'd suggest also diaspora [2] which faces the same result of friendica,
but I've jet tried none of them. I thing both could be really good also
for who need to use multiple social networks at the same time.

[1] https://stallman.org/facebook.html
[2] https://diasporafoundation.org/