[Community] ... (Organisation)

wonderphone at posteo.de wonderphone at posteo.de
Tue Jun 3 20:56:51 CEST 2014

Hi,

>>> The point I was trying to make with "*official* way to communicate"
>>> is
>>> that this channel of communication should be the main/primary
>>> channel
>>> for all questions (which is this mailinglist right now). In my
>>> definition this means, that all discussion takes place there (be it
>>> technical or non-techincal) and all people (especially the
>>> developers
>>> and core members of the community) participate in that single place.
>>>
>>> Therefore, I think it's not a good idea to have an _additional_
>>> forum
>>> (be it freeyourphone.de or a self hosted "OpenPhoenux forum"),
>>> unless we
>>> would close this mailinglist and move all discussion there...
>>> Closing
>>> the mailinglist probably isn't a good idea, though, as it contains a
>>> lot
>>> of knowledge already and the existing community members are used to
>>> it.
>>> => HyperKitty/Mailman3 is a good compromise IMO, we just have to
>>> wait
>>> until it is ready/stable.
>>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to just install the beta of the
>> new
>> Forum interface in addition to mailman2? Or if it needs a complete
>> upgrade to mailman3?
>
> Apparently Fedora has a "dual-stack" configuration, but I don't know
> how
> it is implemented...
>   https://lists.stg.fedoraproject.org/archives/
>
>> What we should not try is to switch to some beta too early. The risk
>> is
>> too high that we loose members because it does not work or we need
>> to invest too much time to get it running. Instead of doing real
>> benefit
>> to our community.
>
> Definitely.
>
>>> An additional friendica instance might be an option, as it is
>>> easier/more convenient to share pictures/videos/media there,
>>> compared to
>>> a mailinglist. But we have to take care not to split the (already
>>> small)
>>> community into friendica users and mailinglist/hyperkitty users and
>>> have
>>> the discussions spread in different places.
>>
>> Yes, that is important to consider.

What you write makes all perfect sense.

Let's take our time and implement mailman3 when it is sufficiently
mature.

I find Friendica more useful as an offer and an ecosystem for the users
of the devices rather than a platform where the community can organize
itself. Instead of make huge efforts to implement it ourselves we can
try to liaise with existing Friendica groups that adhere to the
OpenPhoenux spirit and would be happy to get more users on their server.