[Community] ... (Organisation)

wonderphone at posteo.de wonderphone at posteo.de
Mon Jun 2 23:37:22 CEST 2014

Hi all,

Am 01.06.2014 22:11 schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
> Well, the key factor for speeding up all this is more demand for
> specific devices
> as we currently see. The statistics currently say differently.
> Approx. 30 preorders
> for GTA04A5 and ~370 for a Neo900 device. And this is the result of 6
> months.

The GTA04 platform has the potential to sell enough devices to match
the Fairphone success (50k devices) or even let their sales look small.
My greater fear than the one of never selling such a number of phones is
the one that "we" are not selling them, i. e. Goldelico does not produce
them and the rest of the community is ignored completely. Once it
becomes apparent that GTA04A5 or Neo900 are successful, a soft-spoken
but hard-nosed manufacturer can fork the hardware development and offer
the devices, say, 20% cheaper. That will put extra pressure on the
quantities and prices of the community manufacturers. The community
itself is replaced by a bunch of kids that "like" the devices on
Facebook. They have a say in which color they want their devices in but
nothing more. The monolithic (and also opaque) manufacturer will add
some features to his software distribution that add convenience for the
users and also valuable user information to the manufacturers databases.

Yes, Goldelico has made the community and is the strongest player in
it. The openness that you, Nikolaus, have created is amazing. But the
openness can be a weakness when it is not complemented by a
well-organized community. That is why I am asking all these nerdy
questions. I believe we need mechanisms in the community that make sure
it grows because of its principles, stays always close to its ideals,
and rewards those who have contributed in the past.

Brgrds,
Oliver