[Community] GTA04 - Power management improvements

Hermann Schwärzler hermann.schwaerzler at chello.at
Tue Jan 28 10:28:34 CET 2014

On 01/28/2014 08:58 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 28.01.2014 um 08:50 schrieb Hermann Schwärzler:
[...]
>> Hmm. When I measure power-usage by reading the charge-values of the
>> battery I get the following:
>>
>> Over night
>> 1) a switched-off device uses 288.1 mAh over a time of  9:33 hours;
>>   a switch-off-on cycle uses about 7 mAh so the net usage is 281.1 mAh
>>   equivalent to an average current of 29.4 mA.
>
>> 2) a suspended device uses 195.3 mAh over a time of 9:20 hours
>>   i.e. an average current of 20.9 mA
>>
>> This is more or less the 20 mA Radek is seeing.
>> So both our devices are broken?
>> Or is my test-setting "broken"?
>
> How do you "switch off"?
[...]
> The correct way to turn the modem off is a script like this:
>
> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-rootfs.git;a=blob;f=debian/config/root/wwan-off;h=87efafcf5f38a80b4e4fa074b7e5c31c2f7b635a;hb=HEAD

No I did not use such a script. Just the "poweroff" command of the
system. Tonight I will power off after running this script and will
report my findings.

But there remains the power-usage of a suspended device (that has no
need to communicate with the base station as it lies on the same place
all the time and receives neither calls nor text-messages): If
communcation with the base station draws 100 mA the device would have to
communicate 19% of the time with the station to get an average current
of 20.9 mA...

Greetings
Hermann