[Community] Idea: ATSC tuner for Neo900

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 09:00:58 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 01.08.2014 um 06:13 schrieb Ryan de Laplante (personal):
>
>> Here is an Android tablet with ATSC tuner built-in:
>>
>> http://www.getmyelectronics.com/collections/mobile-tv/products/rca-mobile-tv-tablet
>

>> On Jul 31, 2014, at 11:59 PM, Ryan de Laplante (personal) <ryan at ryandelaplante.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> The Neo900 will have an FM radio tuner. It would be neat if it could also pick up digital TV signal such as ATSC used in North America.  There are already portable pocket TVs on the market, but who wants to carry around another device?
>>>
>>> http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/rca-debuts-new-line-of-portable-atsc-mobile-dtv-hybrid-televis/
>>>
>>> Ryan
>
> This raises the question if there is a chipset that can be bought in small quantities and is open and has Linux drivers...

I tried to find a suitable chip for DVB-* reception for the GTA04 a
few years ago, but all manufacturers I asked declined to sell them in
such small quantities. :-(
If this has not changed in the meantime, you could always use some SDR
to get the signal, but the CPU probably won't be fast enough to
reconstruct the video stream and also decode it.

Best regards,
  Christoph