[Community] A Secure Phone(?)

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Sat Oct 12 09:07:51 CEST 2013

At Fri, 11 Oct 2013 20:05:43 +0200,
Christ van Willegen wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Neal H. Walfield <neal at walfield.org> wrote:
> > One area that no big company is targetting is a phone that acts in the
> > interest of its users.
>
> I recently contacted someone at the EU about this (I contected here
> before), but have not heard of since. I would _guess_ that with the
> recent Belgacom-debacle, the EU would be interested in creating a
> mobile phone that would do secure end-to-end communication via UMTS...

I suspect that most governments already have special phones running
specially developed software for their politicians.  I know, for
instance, that this is the case in Germany: the BND outsources some of
this development.  I don't think they are that interested in helping
the general public in this regard, since they also want to spy.

Neal