[Community] Darwin kernel for GTA04?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Nov 25 19:12:17 CET 2013

Hi all,
it may be rarely known that I was originally (since ca. 1992) a big fan of Apple's technology,
before they introduced iTunes and iPhone and neglected the good old fans. Fans who did
look for the technically better solution to simplify the work of programmers, and wanted to
do with the technology provided by Apple what they wanted to do. This has changed that
now one can do what Apple's policies allow one to do.

And being a big fan of the Sharp Zaurus (sort of a Baby-MacBook :) I wondered almost
exactly 9 years ago, back in 2004 [1] if it could be possible to port the open source Darwin
kernel to such an ARM based device. The project did die in 2005 but got another wave
of interest in 2008 after the Neo Freerunner did appear (the last page of the linked forum)

Now I read that there is a new Darwin-on-ARM project [2] at Github [3] and it
seems to be successful to run on the N900 or a Beagleboard!

So there is most likely only a small step to port that to a GTA04. When I find some time I
will look deeper into it and would be happy if there are some of you also interested.

-- hns

[1]: http://www.osxentwicklerforum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=1445 [[in German]]
[2]: http://winocm.com/projects/research/2013/11/22/milestone-one/
[3]: https://github.com/darwin-on-arm