[Community] Removing the cellular modem

Ryan de Laplante (personal) ryan at ryandelaplante.com
Mon Nov 18 20:14:38 CET 2013

On 13-11-18 02:05 PM, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
> I don't understand why people keep quoting this article like it was
> something interesting. It's all perfectly known, those are the basics
> of how GSM (and other) modems work. However, not every device
> communicates with the modem via shared RAM - and Openmoko/OpenPhoenux
> devices don't. Despite of modem being closed blackbox, you'll still be
> able to control what it does and what it can do - see:
> http://neo900.org/faq#privacy But answering your question: yes, you'll
> probably be able to order Neo900 without modem on board, so you'll be
> able to solder your own by yourself or just leave it unpopulated -
> it's up to you.

It was news to me.  I knew they use closed firmware, but I didn't
realize that someone could send a 73 byte command to get remote code
execution.  I know that the modem chip is separate from the CPU in the
Neo900 which is great. I'd like to go a step further since I don't need
cellular access. I'm glad that this will be an option.

Thanks,
Ryan