[Community] GTA04A5 ready to be pre-ordered

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Nov 7 22:29:54 CET 2013

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 16:58:22 +0100 Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I once tried to find a DAB or DVB tuner/demodulator, but all chips I
> found came without datasheets (only avaliable for "large" customers
> and under NDA) and are not easily available. I doubt the situation
> changed much.. :-(

I have a (cheapish) DAB radio and one thing that I notice is that it is very
harsh on batteries.  I have an FM radio that lasts for months on 2 AA's, and
a DAB that will go through 4 in a week or 2.

So I suspect that a DAB chip would suck a lot of power.  So while it might be
nice to have, I doubt it is at all practical yet.

We DVB first came out, the set-top-boxes ran really hot.  These days they
seem much more moderate.  So there is certainly hope for low-power DAB and
maybe it is already hear.  But I wound't be surprised if it is a couple of
years yet before practice DAB is available for mobile tech.

NeilBrown

PS. See also:
http://digitalradioinsider.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/radio-in-smartphones-will-kill-dab.html