[Community] Growing the Community

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jun 19 11:12:55 CEST 2013

Am 19.06.2013 um 09:23 schrieb Christoph Pulster:

>> (bring) all these good arguments to new community members ...
>> Giving them new devices ... is then a second step
>
> 100% other direction, FIRST have a product, second talk about it.

We have a product (GTA04+Software) plus some ideas (e.g. Letux 7004
tablet) and just start to talk about such devices again after some period
of silence...

Talking about our ideas and dreams is more long-lasting than any
specific product. And by these discussions we might even find that
we need a different device from what we currently have designed.

> We should stop talking too much about theory but sell what we have.

We have no stock to sell because there are not yet enough fixed orders
to risk the money to start the next production batch.

> As Openmoko shop owner (former OM distributor) I am interested the story
> continues. I'm ready to invest 10-20.000 eur for now, later more.

Ok, that would be approx. 20-30 additional units (which is alone not enough
for a new batch). Please add yourself to the "wishlist" (if not done yet) which
increases the likelihood that the production starts earlier.

> Marketing the GTA02 as "free phone" was a good idea in 2007, but causes
> pain only nowadays. GTA02 and GTA04 are multi-purpose platforms based on
> widest openness possible. This is a dream for any VAR (value-added
> reseller = special solutions builder).
> Check the market and you will not find any competitor !

I disagree. You will find a lot of Android based china crap that is open
enough for what the VARs want to see. For 99% of them Android is
good enough and they don't look for the independence from big players
we are aiming for. And the 1% is like finding a needle in the haystack.

> this is the most unsexy way, but most sure the one getting cash flowing
> back to keep the idea Openmoko alive.

Yes, that is what OpenPhoenux is about: the phoenix rising from the
ashes of the previous Openmoko project, flying to new horizons.