[Community] Growing the Community

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jun 18 17:31:08 CEST 2013

Am 18.06.2013 um 17:06 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 2013-06-18 14:24, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 18.06.2013 um 14:56 schrieb Bob Ham:
>
>>> By which I mean, marketed with a nicely made marketing website, media campaign and fundraising akin to the Fairphone's efforts?
>
>> IMHO our activites are not mass-market oriented and will never be.
>
> My activities are mass-market oriented.  I'm sure there are others in the community who are working so that free phones reach parity with mass-market phones.
>

>> The
>> mass market just looks at price, next on price and again on price.
>> I.e. the lowest price wins. Freedom: what is this good for? Openness:
>> what this is good for?
>
> To me, this argument doesn't hold up in light of the Fairphone.  You could add to the above: Fairness: what is this good for?

I assume if someone is just looking for a low price (and that is what "the masses" are) they may (and will) sacrifice fairness (like freedom and openness). That is sad from an ethical point of view, but I think it is a social phenomenon we can't change over night and not by technology.

> The Fairphone isn't inexpensive and yet they have nearly 10000 pre-orders.  The primary selling point is the ethics of the phone manufacturing.

Yes they do! This is why slide 6 of

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/openphoenux/downloads/get/OpenPhoenux.pdf

is formulated in ethical dimensions.

AFAIK, Fairphone is also backed by some network operators making 10%:

	http://www.telecompaper.com/news/kpn-confirms-smartphone-deal-with-fairphone--945415

Fairness is something a telco obviously would like to see in their brand core. But I am not sure they want to see open hardware. At least I don't remember they did adopt Openmoko devices immediately.

The question is what we now make out of all these good arguments and how we bring them to new community members and new members to the community. Giving them new devices and improved software is then a second step where we can leverage all the experience we all have.