[Community] Growing the Community

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Tue Jun 18 17:06:41 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-18 14:24, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 18.06.2013 um 14:56 schrieb Bob Ham:

>>  By which I mean, marketed with a nicely made marketing website,
>> media campaign and fundraising akin to the Fairphone's efforts?

> IMHO our activites are not mass-market oriented and will never be.

My activities are mass-market oriented.  I'm sure there are others in
the community who are working so that free phones reach parity with
mass-market phones.

> The
> mass market just looks at price, next on price and again on price.
> I.e. the lowest price wins. Freedom: what is this good for? Openness:
> what this is good for?

To me, this argument doesn't hold up in light of the Fairphone.  You
could add to the above: Fairness: what is this good for?

The Fairphone isn't inexpensive and yet they have nearly 10000
pre-orders.  The primary selling point is the ethics of the phone
manufacturing.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }