[Community] Growing the Community

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jun 18 14:28:15 CEST 2013

Am 18.06.2013 um 14:09 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 2013-06-18 11:39, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> But if you expect software in a quality that it is bug free and nobody
>> finds a significant bug within 10 years, it needs a completely different
>> development process compared to communites, open source and git...
>
> The issue isn't whether the software is engineered to the level of aviation or space industries with very high confidence in the absence of bugs.

Ok, I did misunderstand you.

> The issue is whether the software works.

What is the definition of "works"? I think there may be quite many different opinions...

>> So I think it is a nice dream, but do we need such a high goal to give a
>> significant contribution to freedom of mankind?
>
> You're talking about a different goal.  The goal is not to have software that runs flawlessly for 10 years.
>
> The goal is having a phone OS that works :-)
>
> It's not rocket science.  We don't need to define "works" precisely.  I think we probably all have a good shared understanding of what it means when software doesn't work.  The software distributed on the Openmoko phones didn't work.  We need software that does work.

I can't speak for others, but for me e.g. QtMoko "just works". This is the problem if there is no precise definition :)

And if something does not "work" it should be documented somewhere (expectation vs. what we find).
And then someone should take care of it. I.e. it is just about "closing the loop" between those not yet
happy and those who can make them happy. Shouldn't be too difficult IMHO...