[Community] Growing the Community

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Tue Jun 18 14:09:50 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-18 11:39, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> But if you expect software in a quality that it is bug free and
> nobody
> finds a significant bug within 10 years, it needs a completely
> different
> development process compared to communites, open source and git...

The issue isn't whether the software is engineered to the level of
aviation or space industries with very high confidence in the absence of
bugs.  The issue is whether the software works.

> So I think it is a nice dream, but do we need such a high goal to
> give a
> significant contribution to freedom of mankind?

You're talking about a different goal.  The goal is not to have
software that runs flawlessly for 10 years.

The goal is having a phone OS that works :-)

It's not rocket science.  We don't need to define "works" precisely.  I
think we probably all have a good shared understanding of what it means
when software doesn't work.  The software distributed on the Openmoko
phones didn't work.  We need software that does work.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }