[Community] Growing the Community

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Fri Jun 14 16:04:41 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-14 12:05, Radek Polak wrote:
> On Friday, June 14, 2013 01:38:11 PM Bob Ham wrote:
>> On 2013-06-14 07:19, Radek Polak wrote:

>> > 2/ being free/open is also not enough
>
>> Why do you think that?
>
> First the product must serve it's purpose. Free/open is additional
> value which will attract more people. If you want successful product
> you also need nice design, good marketing and some concurrency
> advantages (features that others dont have).

Freedom *is* a feature over others.

The question I asked is: why do you think phones need freedom *and*
something else?  You haven't answered that.

> If free/open was enough, why do we have just 100 units sold?

The "units" you're referring to were not phones; the units were upgrade
boards for existing GTA01/02 phones.

No new free/open phones have been manufactured.

There are many reasons why the upgrade boards have low uptake numbers
and those reasons have been discussed ad nauseum on this list and
others.

>> I would note that no really working free/open phone has ever been on
>> the market.
>
> What about Freerunner?

The Freerunner wasn't a "really working" phone when it was brought to
market.  From what I understand, the software was very incomplete and
had major problems.  (And attainment of the goal of "really working" was
actually retarded by Openmoko Inc. during the time the phone was on the
market as they repeatedly tried to start from scratch.)

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }