[Community] About the status

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Sat Jun 8 19:53:45 CEST 2013

On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 17:07 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> My main point is that we (the Openphoenux community) already
> posesses such a module (the GTA04 with B2B connectors)

Erm.. eh?  A GTA04 with B2B connectors is nothing like an EOMA68 module.
The B2B connector is an internal board connector.  It would be valid to
compare the B2B connector to an ISA slot whose pins had been reassigned
for multi-function I/O, but not to an EOMA68 card.

PCMCIA was an "enhanced" ISA slot in a consumer-oriented form factor
intended for plugging and unplugging peripherals.  Everything that
PCMCIA had above ISA, Cardbus had above PCI, and ExpressCard has above
PCI-E, EOMA68 has above the GTA04 B2B connector.

> Or if they are used widely, I would be happy to learn what there
> is different making them more attractive.

As an EOMA user, I will be able to push a button on the side of my EOMA
tablet, eject the CPU, and then insert it into my EOMA desktop.  Or into
my EOMA laptop.

As I understand it, I won't be able to push a button and take the GTA04
board out of the planned GTA04-based tablet, and then take it to some
other device and plug it in.  Unless you have some unpublished
GTA04-as-pluggable-module mechanical specs you haven't told us about?

> But you still have to throw away or recycle EOMA modules with additional
> components you wouldn't need when buying a fully integrated new device.
>
> So you just keep the display and win a useless CPU module.

You seem to believe the market would have only "fully integrated new
device"s and nothing else.  Why do you believe components won't be on
the market by themselves?  In your example, why would you not buy just a
new display component?

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }