[Community] Releasing GTA04 hardware source files

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Aug 24 14:20:23 CEST 2013

Am 24.08.2013 um 13:50 schrieb Sven:

>> What is stopping you from taking the GTA04 schematics and
>> documentation and run your n900-revival project as described above?
>> Money? Courage? Disbelief in the existence of a "market"?
>
> Sorry for being such directly, but what is *really* stopping you Nikolaus from providing sources of schematics and layout? Is this the *belief* in the existence of a market?   :D

:)

I simply think it will not change anything for the community, because it is no additional information and does not help to find anybody asking for the device to be produced. Essentially we have a price/feature-level/production cost problem. Not a problem in the design.

And I will have additional work with no benefit.

> So the one question superior to all other questions indeed is: Market or not market?

That is indeed the question. And my conjecture from the previous experiences, number of preorders, analyses of the tapping mechanisms in the networks, and now the failure of the Ubuntu Edge is that there is no market. And that it will not suddenly appear because design files are available in a more convenient form.

Rather, we need something fundamentally different.

And that is where my hope comes from, that somebody is raising his/her finger with a really new idea. And that would create a really new market.

As alluded previously, anyone can start a git and push a copy of the PDFs. And convert it to any convenient format. But I will not do it.