[Community] status of production and antenna development ; Re: What software are we still missing on GTA04 distributions?

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:32:55 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Thomas Munker <t.munker at gmx.net> wrote:
> Freerunner, is the gprs/gsm antenna compatible?

Freerunners antenna is compatible. It could be better (there is always
room for improvement) but in general it works quite well.

> Why can't we reproduce
> them for the case-kit, aren't they just some special formed kind of
> wires?

Yes, but the "special form" is the key that makes it so complicated.
To reproduce the original antenna we need to reproduce the exact form
of the metal plate and we need to mout it on a more or less exact
replica of the plastic part. The metal part is quite difficult to
reproduce because of the special form. The plastic part could be done
more easily but the process to combine both parts is again quite
complex: there are strict requirements for the alignment of both parts
so that the contact area fits perfectly.

> Or is the signal not so well, but good enough to not do the work
> for an replacement?
> Sorry if this may sound like an trivial question.

We are working on replacement parts, but as Nikolaus indicated, it
requires a lot of work and specialized RF engineers.

Best regards,
  Christoph