[Community] What software are we still missing on GTA04 distributions?

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Wed Oct 10 20:48:22 CEST 2012

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

> Am 26.07.2012 um 00:52 schrieb NeilBrown:

>> Reliable firmware for the GSM module?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> So if there were some way to try out a newer firmware, I'd be keen to give it
>> a go.
>
> I will take another look into that after solving production things and holidays.
> So it may take a while for news.
>
> Nikolaus

Hi Nikolaus,

Can I remind you about this firmware question and ask if there is any
news?

I've been running for a long time now with 3G (AT_OPSYS=3,2) and find
that the modem will quite reliably crash if I am in a reasonably fast
moving train.  Therefore I would guess that

- there is at least one specific problem in the modem firmware to do
  with moving between 3G cells

- it would be really surprising if Option hadn't heard about and fixed
  this.

(I should also say, for balance, that 3G data also reliably works for
the 95% of the time when it isn't crashing!)

This particular problem can be avoided by using only 2G (AT_OPSYS=0,2),
but it's lovely to have the 3G speed, so 2G-only would be a bit of a
shame.  And there are the other issues that Neil Brown mentioned (above
in this thread), that a new firmware might fix.  Therefore it would be
great to know if we can look forward to a future modem firmware update.

Many thanks,
      Neil