[Community] OpenPhoenux News

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Oct 4 11:49:15 CEST 2012

Am 04.10.2012 um 10:29 schrieb Sven Dyroff:

> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> > Future GTA05?
> > ============
> > Although it is a litttle early to work on a next generation GTA,
> > we already want to collect ideas. So please let us know what
> > you would like to see in a completely newly developed future
> > OpenPhoenux device.
>
> a) Better GPS reception !!

For the internal or the external antenna? The internal antenna was and is a little weak
and there is a general issue with noise generated by the SD/MMC card interface which
may reduce the S/N by approx. 10 dB.

> b) Use UMTS-modems with firmware update or use a new 4G LTE capable modem !!

If we can get one :)

> c) If you want to use a capacitive touch (i.e. multi-touch), please keep on having the possibility for using the current resistive one! I definitvely like it!
>
> d) Keep on using OMAP3. OMAP4 needs much more power, easily becomes hot when using its power and has very much reduced livetime (See: "Power on hours (POH)" of this throw-away-processor, as I call it to be.)

The OMAP3 is already good and a dual core or even quad core is rarely needed. But it has a limitation in RAM/NAND flash size. And can't address SD cards >32 GByte.

> e) Spend one more GPIO to IrDA in order to be able to switch off IrDA and RS232 tranceiver at the same time.

This is already planned for the GTA04A5 revision.

> f) Spend 0 ohms resistors in some power paths in order to get a chance to find out where a gta04 needlessly drains power during suspend or poweroff by simply measuring.

Good idea!

> g) Add a DVB-T receiver.   ;-)))

Why not? It appears to be technically feasible since there are such handhelds out there...

e.g. http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_hb620t-2486.php

Since this question was raised to dream, let's dream :)