[Community] Is it possible to deactivate the silence suppression on a GTA02 and/or GTA04?

Wurzer Juergen Juergen.Wurzer at fhstp.ac.at
Tue Dec 11 12:04:59 CET 2012

Hi!

Is there a way to deactivate the silence suppression during a phone call on a GTA02 and/or on a GTA04?
Maybe like setting the level of the voice activity detection (VAD) to a minimum, so that it always stays "active" and continuously transmit the voice.

I need this because we have a research project where we embed steganographic informations during a call into the voice stream.
The current problem is that if the audio signal is very quiet (e.g. the person doesn't speak) nothing is transmitted because of the silence suppression - this leads to the steganographic informations being discarded.

Maybe there are AT commands?
I have tried to set some AT commands like the ones shown at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_GSM on GTA02.

Other then the examples above, I do not get
> AT-Command Interpreter Ready
> OK

Are there any informations on how to use AT commands on a GTA04?
The software I use at both mobile phones (GTA02 and GTA04) is QtMoko v48,
maybe there is an issue with this version or I have to kill any processes that
use the MODEM at the same time and prevents me from sending commands -

any inputs are appreciated :)

best regards
jürgen