[Community] Modify the voice stream of a OpenPhoenux GTA04 mobile phone

Wurzer Juergen Juergen.Wurzer at fhstp.ac.at
Fri Aug 10 19:04:05 CEST 2012

Hi!

Has a OpenPhoenux GTA04 mobile phone the possibility to modify/intercept the audio voice stream by an user space process
for example to realize a answering machine or scramle the voice or hide a message by steganography into the voice
or anything else.

For example on an android phone (like galaxy nexus) it seems the voice streams were handled by the baseband processor.
Since the baseband firmware (radio image) is close sourced and available in binary only, it isn't really possible to
modify the voice stream.

Currently I have tried to trace the voice samples on a galaxy nexus with debug messages at kernel and at user space.
But I only can trace the ring tone, music, ... but not the voice stream.

Would it be possible with a GTA04 mobile phone to intercept the audio voice stream of a gsm call and modify it?

Best regards from austria (and sorry for my bad english)
jürgen